Any adult working or volunteering with children at some point in their career may be subject to an allegation that they have harmed a child.
The criteria for making a report to the LADO are that an individual in the workplace may have:
- Behaved in a way that has harmed, or may have harmed a child
- Possibility committed a criminal offence against or related to a child
- Behaved towards children in a way that indicates they may pose a risk of harm to them
Every local authority has a LADO to whom allegations must be reported and with whom plans should be made about how matters are progressed. The LADO is a senior member of staff who:
- is involved in the management and oversight of individual cases which meet a certain threshold
- provides advice and guidance to employers and voluntary organisations
- liaises with the police and other agencies
- monitors the progress of cases to ensure they are dealt with as quickly as possible, following a consistent, thorough and fair process
Though allegations of abuse can be made to anyone in an organisation it is the role of the Safeguarding Lead in the workplace to take these forward and to be the link between the organisation and the LADO until the matter is resolved. When an allegation is made about an individual it must be reported to the LADO (Local Authority Designated Officer) within 24 hours.
The LADO for Ealing is:
firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
020 8825 8930
Sherwyn Sicat, Child Protection Advisor (CPA) also provides LADO support to the LADO on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays and is contactable via the details above.
The email address and telephone number above is managed by the child protection administration team. They will forward your referral or consultation request to the LADO and LADO support.
In the absence of both the LADO and LADO support, a duty CPA will respond to your referral/consultation.
Referrals made to the LADO must be submitted on the referral form to the right.
Guidance notes on the process are also available in the attached links.