Ealing are now delivering vitamins as part of the Healthy Start programme via the Children Centres across the borough.
Healthy Start is the government scheme to improve the health of low-income pregnant women and families on benefits and tax credits. For those that apply and are eligible they receive vouchers which can be used to procure milk, fruit and vegetables and vitamins.
The vitamins are specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women and growing children and contain the appropriate amount of recommended vitamins A, C and D for children aged from six months to four years, and folic acid and vitamins C and D for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Every 8 weeks those who are eligible receive a green vitamin coupon with their Healthy Start vouchers, which they can swap for healthy start vitamins in their local area. The voucher is either for Healthy Start women’s tablets or Healthy Start children’s drops.The milk, fruit and vegetables will become available through local retailers who have signed up to the Healthy Start Programme.
From 11 September 2020, Iceland will offer free frozen vegetables to families using Healthy Start Vouchers in its stores until the end of the year. The free vegetables, worth £1 can be obtained in store when using a healthy start voucher.
Who qualifies for Healthy Start:
A person qualifies for Healthy Start if they are at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and they or their family get:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less per year Pension Credit; or
- Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of £408 or less per month for the family.
- A person also qualifies if they are under 18 and pregnant, even if they don’t get any of the above benefits
How to apply for Healthy Start & get the application leaflet
You can either:
- Call the Healthy Start helpline on 0345 607 6823 and ask them to send one by post
- There will be some copies of the application leaflet in the children's centres. Find your nearest Ealing Children's Centre
- The form can also be downloaded directly off the Healthy start website (it can be filled in online and then printed and signed) : https://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/
There is no longer a need to get a health professional’s signature.
You can send the application to the Healthy Start Address below (freepost) :
Healthy Start Issuing Unit
PO Box 1067