Skip to main content
Suitable for an individual with hearing impairment
Suitable for individuals with vision impairment
Suitable for children with special educational needs
Sign language interpreter available

Kids London SEN Mediation Service

KIDS SEND Mediation offers an informal and confidential service to help settle disagreements between families of children and young people with Special Educational Needs (age 0 to 25) and Local Authorities.

Our service is free of charge, and it involves an expert independent mediator who helps parties in the disagreement find solutions and reach agreements.

Discussions are managed fairly by the mediator to help everybody communicate openly and explore options. The mediator chairs the meeting, however it is the participants who decide the outcome. Mediators are impartial, do not take sides, nor put forward possible solutions to your disagreement.

Anyone appealing to the SEND Tribunal needs a certificate from a mediation adviser confirming that they have received information about mediation (Exception: you do not have to contact a mediation adviser or get a certificate, if your disagreement is about the name or the type of education provider named in the EHC Plan (or if no education provider is named in Section I).

The Mediation Advice helps you gain a clear idea of what mediation can offer you and how it works, and gives you an opportunity to ask questions. You do not have to go to mediation, just receive the mediation advice.
Mediation Advice is usually provided on the telephone and we will give you as much time as you need to have all your mediation questions answered.

If after the Mediation Advice you do not want to take part in mediation, we will provide you with a certificate within 3 working days so that you can make your appeal.

Who to contact

03330 062 835 (option 2)

Where to go

7-9 Elliott's Place
N1 8HX

Other Details


Free service


Age Ranges
0-25 years
Referral required
Referral Details

The right to mediation is granted by Local Authorities' decision letters. Specifically, families must contact our service within 2 months of receiving a decision letter.
Families can request Disagreement Resolution even without a decision letter.

Local Offer

Local Offer
Back to top