Skip to main content

Find Specialist Equipment & Services

You may need specialist equipment to help manage with your child’s needs and disabilities.

Health professionals such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, physiotherapists and specialist community nurses may (as part of an assessment) recommend a particular piece of equipment for your child.

Specialist teachers for children with visual and hearing impairments may also recommend equipment for use in schools. Based on professional recommendation this equipment can be offered free of charge to your child, or be provided by the school whilst your child is attending the school.

An occupational therapist can also assess the need for specialist equipment and adaptations around your home. This can include minor adaptations such as a hand rails around the house or a calling entry system for those who cannot reach the front door, or major adaptations such as a chairlift, wheelchair access ramps or a level access shower.

All recommended adaptations are provided free of charge, although if you feel your home requires an adaptation not suggested by the occupational therapist you are free to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant to help ease the cost.

Children requiring a wheelchair should make contact with their GP who will refer them to Brent Community Service’s Wheelchair Service which serves West London. Here a team of physiotherapists, occupational therapists and rehabilitation engineers will perform an assessment to provide wheelchairs suitable for numerous physical disabilities.

Your GP can refer you to health professionals who are able to recommend specialist equipment. Typically these professionals will be a part of ESCAN, however for home adaptations you can contact Ealing’s Repairs and Adaptation Service directly on 020 8825 6070 or

Should you wish to buy equipment and adaptations privately there are a number of online suppliers that can be found in the related links who will be able to help you. 

Back to top